January Is Radon Action Month
With the New Year and another Radon Action Month we set our sights on educating the
public on the Facts and Fiction of Radon in homes and businesses.
- Radon-induced lung cancer claims over 22,000 lives per year
- A radon level of 4 pCi/L is equivalent to smoking 1/2 pack of cigarettes a day
- Children, the elderly, and pets are most vulnerable to the effects of radon
- You can get lung cancer as a non-smoker and Radon exposure is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer
- Radon Testing is simple and inexpensive; Do it yourself kits are available at most home improvement or hardware stores
- Radon concentrations are normally highest in winter months when homes are closed up
- Is my home safe at under 4 pCi/L; No! there are no safe levels you want your home as close to zero as possible
- All radon systems are the same; Your home will dictate the type of system needed, be wary of the cheap guy
- I have no symptoms does that mean my house isn't high? No! You will only know your radon level by testing
- We don't use our basement are we safe? Radon levels can be high on the ground floor as well as the second story
The bottom line is take the time to test your home this January and know your radon level. To purchase an EPA approved test kit please visit https://www.nationalradondefense.com/radon-test-kits.html
From all of us at National Radon Defense we wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year.